Quinta da Tapada

Vila de Avô was a very important village in the past, namely at the beginning of nationality. It had its 1st Charter in 1187 and was then considered of equal importance to Coimbra and Viseu at a time when the Rio Alva was part of the Kingdom’s second frontier in the progression of the Christian Reconquest to the south.

It is from that time that the first castle, later rebuilt by D. Dinis at a time when the conquests to the Moors had already ceased.

Vila de Avô maintained its relative importance in the region after the Middle Ages and suffered its annexation to Oliveira do Hospital, as a county, with the administrative reform of 1855.

Nowadays it has numerous points of historical and scenic interest, including several manors and manor houses, the ruins of the castle, the Roman Road that came from Conimbriga and here forked to Viseu and Idanha-a-Velha (then called Egitânia), the island do Picoto in Rio Alva and the adjacent river beach, this one with the qualification of quality beach, accessible beach and the attribution of blue flag.